Sunday, December 11, 2011

week 24 (Dec 5)

Hello Everyone!

I still love being a missionary. Holiday season is great. It’s wonderful to see what Christmas is all about from a completely different perspective. It’s sad to not be with the family, but I’m learning so much right now. This morning we watched Mr. Kruegers Christmas, a Church film we hand out about a lonely old man. At the time it was filmed I’m sure he would have been considered kind, but in this age, he kind of appears like a pedophile. Anyways, I was watching it and realized how much more important relationships are than I had previously thought. There’s a part in it when he prays (the most powerful part of the film) and he talks about the Saviors love. He says that he brought no gift for Him, but realizes that that’s not very important, and it isn’t. The Savior was never looking for profit. He doesn’t want us to be profitable servants, He is Benevolence (wishing good on others); He loves you and me so very much and if we love one another as He has instructed us, and visit one another so we aren’t so alone, we can truly find happiness and answers to the important questions. I wish I could have the love of Christ flow out of me the way it flows from Him. I think of Alma wishing to preach the gospel to all people, but realizing that he sins in his wish, because he ought to be content with that which the Lord hath allotted him. I cannot have perfect charity now, but I can seek it and will. I fall very short, sometimes it is very hard, I face a lot of racism and large culture gaps, even in my companionship, but I’m reaching for the Savior and trying to find all the love I can…it can never be enough. I get teary eyed just thinking about it. Have you seen “Finding Faith in Christ” recently? You should. It’s amazing. I full on cry every time and it never gets old. Also, in the First Presidency Christmas Fireside last night, they announced that soon there will be 50 new videos online portraying Biblical story’s as accurately as scripturally possible…should be pretty good!

I watched the Fireside on BYUTV last night, I loved every minute. Plus the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is just so amazing! It seems so obvious that those who abandon the Gospel of Jesus Christ are left in a frustrated angry lonely hollow lifeless tomb, and those who embrace the gospel get: Mosiah 2:41—“And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.” I love this quote from Jeffery R. Holland,

“Don’t give up, boy. Don’t you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead—a lot of it…Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come.”
Jeffery R. Holland Ensign November 1999

->> https://lds.org/media-library/video/mormon-messages?lang=eng&start=49&end=60#2010-05-12-good-things-to-come

Or look for it on LDS.org (the name of the Film is “Good things to come”) then let me know how you liked it. As a missionary, I kinda know which films are the good ones ;)

That is my testimony to all, both here in NHMM and also at home, that those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ will see the blessing, or better yet, feel the blessing as they come. I wish my investigators would just learn to pray. If they would do nothing else then open their heart to our Heavenly Father and pour out all of their gratitude, concerns, fears, frustrations, and pain…they would ALWAYS feel better after wards. I don't know why bad things and confusing things happen to people, but i do know that the gospel is true and that the Savior loves us and Heavenly Father both hears and answers our prayers.

Anyways, I’m about out of time, but I’ll talk again next week. Be sure to watch some Church films and think of me, let me know how you like them too, I need to know how they are viewed by others. Another video that we use often (it’s way good) is called “lifting burdens” it’s the testimony’s of several apostles and members of the first presidency and is found on both lds.org and mormon.org.

Love You!

-Elder Matthew D. Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment