Thursday, August 4, 2011

And we are up to date with his latest letter!

Week 6:
Hi all,

The MTC is getting better; it's very hard for me, very much in contrast with my personality. I love the gospel, and I love reading my scriptures and want to do well, but this structure just isn't my kind of deal. The best parts are our mock investigators, but it would mean so much more if they were real investigators! I just want to teach. I sure do hope I get to teach in English at least some when I’m out in the field. I have no idea what New Hampshire will be like. I’ve pretty much forgotten the real world, I think! The members of my district are my real world now. We have lots of fun together, playing sports, talking, drinking soda and building a pyramid of cans, and of course joking around about anything we can in our spare time. We all want to meet up at Provo after the mission and go for a hike, or rock climbing or snowboarding or something. I think that will be fun.

I auditioned for a special musical number today. The same one I sang at my farewell. I
It went pretty well, but they said it was too long and I needed to shorten it, so I did and came back right afterwards, and they said it was great and want me to sing it at a special meeting, I don't know how many will be in attendance, but it could be anywhere from 500-3000, who knows. My accompanist is very good; he's very talented, like ridiculously good. He pretty much sight reads it perfect and then started to goof around with it after a few run throughs. But I’m really lucky to have found him. I literally just started going door to door to find a pianist, and then I found him.

One of the best parts of the MTC is all the art. There are so many gospel pictures in every room, and that really invites revelation when you look at them and think about what it means. For example. I was looking at the picture of Abinidi in front of King Noah and his wicked priests and thought about how smart and wise those priests felt. They must have thought that they had it all figured out, accomplished and respected, but Abinidi had things for them that they had never heard, and their pride got in the way. It was then that I realized, that when we feel like we know it all, we really don't know it all, we've just stopped learning. and the same can be applied to many things such as repentance. When we feel we don't need to repent, we're not perfect, we've just stopped progressing.


With Love,

-Elder Matthew D. Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment