Thursday, August 4, 2011

bringing you up to date!

This is Matt’s mom. I’ll be posting his letters every week. He loves to get mail! He will be in the MTC for about 2 more weeks and you can send his mail to:

Elder Matt Evans

MTC mailbox 308

NH-MAN 0822

Provo, UT 84604-1793

When he gets out in the field, I will post his new address!

July 7

So in case you didn't get my letter yet, my P-Days are now Thursday.

To surmise the last 2 weeks or so, I got here and put my stuff in my room and went to some orientation meetings that were pretty boring, and then we went to class and met our teachers. They had me in beginner Spanish, so it was pretty dull, 'cause they started a new system where they start with Spanish, so I wasn't even getting great lessons on the gospel. I asked to test out the first day, but my teacher is new, so he didn't know how to do that, apparently you need to test before the first Monday and since he didn't take me there for about 2 weeks it was more complicated, but they got me tested (which took literally 50 seconds) and by the time I was back in my chair at class they had a notice for me to pack up and move to a new district which means a new class, building, room, companion, district, zone branch, everything. So I packed up and went to my new district. I miss my old one, they were really fun. I loved my companion, we got along so well. My new companionship is a threesome. The Spanish is coming along just fine though, I'm not nervous at all, but that might change in the field. I'm so happy that I get to learn a new language, and I can't wait to get out into the field.

We had a special 4th of July meeting that was cool; it involved a good speaker, bagpipes, flags, and BYU's Fireworks. The best part was all the missionaries in their suits running around like Godzilla invaded Tokyo. When I got here, there was a special conference for new mission presidents, so there were tons of apostles here, but they kept us away from them, they shut off half the cafeteria for them and half of the main building. I never saw one, but Bednar addressed us, there wasn't room for many missionaries though, so I just got to see the video.

The rules here really test your patience, so many rules that are frustrating. Like you can't stand with your hands in your pockets, and if you have a coat your companion has to have one too, and you have to have it buttoned up. We have to wear coats to firesides and wait until they invite you to take your coat off, which they always do right away (so it's just annoying to have to go change into your suit). I wish I had more to say, but nothing is really happening here.

Love you all! Keep the prayers and letters coming!!!

Elder Matthew D. Evans

July 14
Hey everyone! Which brings up a funny story, one of the elders in my district forgot his watch in the playing field during gym time, so we went back to get it, but gym was closed, so it felt like we were just walking out of the MTC (plus I forgot my name tag and we were in P-Day clothes). The weather was sooooo good, sunny, and just the right temp. We get out to the field and pretty much black clouds blow over us and lighting starts going on and then it just starts pouring rain. Then my companions said "Ok, He's MAD!" all joking of course, but it was funny. Then someone
else said "we should've never left the MTC..." hahaha! Well, this week I got to learn a whole lot of humility. I got really fed up with all the annoying rules and became really unhappy. Someone must have said something to the branch president because he wanted to meet with me. I hadn't met with him before, because I switched branches, so this was his first and only impression of me. He didn't seem to think very much of me, certainly didn't have anything good to say to me, which is too bad because I was just having a bad couple of days. The rules here are hard to follow, I try to follow them, but it definitely isn't making me terribly happy. The straw that broke the camel’s back was when I found out I couldn't say dude (which is probably the word I use more than any other). I think I would have an easier time if it felt like I was doing something, like teaching. I know I'll enjoy the field so much more. Time at the MTC is speeding up. The first few days felt like weeks, and now weeks feel like days. Hard to believe I'm working on week 4. Food is still what you might think of MTC food (visit Jeremiah 4:19).
I did get one package but I have no idea who the package is from, because there was no return address, maybe you could ask around for me. It was full of snacks that had a theme of pioneering, so I'm guessing from the Padilla's. Looking forward to getting this package, I desperately want those flip flops, I've already had athletes foot on my foot and armpit (don't ask how, cause I don't know). I'm enjoying the more routine system here, but I want to find more time for practicing hymns.

Love you all,

Elder Evans



Well, I don't really know what to say...I got to leave the MTC with my companion to go see a doctor about his broken foot. It was great to leave, see some people, smile, try to find some way to help, and of course I had my back pack. We gave the first discussion to someone while we were in the waiting room, he was already a member, but didn't remember a whole lot about the restoration, so it was a good experience for both of us. My Spanish is slowly getting better, the intermediate district is better, but I really hope that I can move in with the advanced district. The advanced districts are only here for the weeks, so I want to move in with a new district and really immerse myself in Spanish. I'm going to ask to take the test tomorrow, tell believers to pray for me ;) I'm learning a lot here. Still learning lessons of humility and repentance, but lately I’ve begun to understand goals. I always hated goals because they made me think of soccer, or just sports in general. But I do like being organized with my study time. I wish I had more to write about, but the MTC is pretty much like Groundhog Day, every day is the same. On Sunday my district is singing "Hope of Israel" and I'll be accompanying them on the piano, which is crazy because I hadn't ever played that song until a few days ago, but I think I can be ready in time. (Another thing to pray for). Oh, and a cool scripture I found, that I plan on using to pick up girls with when I get back is proverbs 3:15 (or 15-18), it's even better in Spanish! Thanks a ton for the package, it meant the world to me, packages here are as good as getting a new computer in the real world, and letters are like being taken to the movies...yup...missionaries are easy to please. Someone gave me a different package with a pioneering theme to it, I don't know who sent it though, there was no return address, or name, so I don't know who to thank...but thanks whoever you are! Keep sending me stuff!!!

-Love you all


-Elder Matthew D. Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment